Rapport-namn

Diskusjon om ord, uttrykk og uttrykksform i Legacy på norsk (bokmål og nynorsk)
Nina Beth
Sted: Arna

Rapport-namn

Legg innav Nina Beth » 14.11.2003 2:13

Burde ikkje introdusere nytt emne, kan hende, når eg ligg etter med fleire av dei "gamle". Likevel: Kan me finne brukandes namn på spesielt REGISTER og MODIFIED REGISTER-rapportane? Desse namna er bortimot meiningslause på engelsk og verre på norsk. Dei er heilamerikanske og, til vanleg, viser etterkomarar av ein immigrant. Her (litt forkorta) er Dollarhide si forklaring av både rapportane og av namna som dei har fått. Merk at "Register" kjem av namnet på eit blad (!).

Descendancy Numbering Systems
by William Dollarhide

The Register System
The Register System is a descendancy numbering system first used by the New England Historic Genealogical Society in their periodical, [i]The New England Historical and Genealogical Register [/i]— for short, the Register — hence the name. As an example of the Register System, the following partial descendancy was taken from a book published in 1984 by ....:

Descendants of Franklin H. Work and of Ellen Wood (great-great-grandparents of The Princess of Wales)

1. FRANKLIN H. WORK, merchant, b. Chillicothe, Ohio, 10 Feb. 1819, d. Ny, NY, 16 March 1911, son of ... m. ...
Issue:
--- 2. a. Frances ....
--- b. George ...
--- 3. c. Lucy ...

2. FRANCES ...
Issue by first husband....:
--- a. Eileen
--- 4. b. Cynthia ...
--- 5. c. Edmund ...
--- d. Francis ...

3. LUCY ...

In the above example, the Register numbers were assigned with the first person as number 1, followed by his children as 2, 3, 4, etc. Not every person is assigned a number, however, only those who will be continued with their line of descent shown later. Of the three children of Franklin Work, listed above as Frances, George, and Lucy, just two have been assigned numbers. Because George has no number assigned, we presume the authors chose not to continue the descent-line of George Paul Work (which is the prerogative of the author).

There are two columns of information shown. The left margin indicates the adult descent line, while the indented column indicates the children in their order of birth, as above.

Except for the first progenitor, every person given a number will appear first as a child, the number indicating his/her position in the adult descent line. If no number is given, that will be the last time that child will be mentioned in the descendancy.

In the child column, brief vitals are listed. But in the adult column, more detail about the person is given, .... This is also the place where any biographical information about the person would appear—although the above example has little biographical text. There is no limit to the length of vitals and biographical data that can be included in the adult column listing for a person. This is the standard method of producing a family history in book form.

The birth order for the children, in this case, was indicated with lower case a, b, c, etc. But the birth order can also be indicated with lower case roman numerals, such as i, ii, iii.

Note that the children without a Register number will not appear again. Because the numbers continue to rise, and because there are only two columns of numbers to follow, the Register System can be very easy to read, even if the numbers are quite large due to a great number of descendants. For example, say a book were opened in the middle and the numbers appeared as shown below:

3245. James Brown

--- 6641. i. William Brown
--- 6642. ii. Elizabeth Brown
--- 6643. iii. Mary Brown

3246. Wilma Brown

This may seem confusing at first, but by understanding the Register System, several rules apply. To find the parents of James Brown, No. 3245, move to the child column and start turning pages toward the front of the book until a child appears with that number. Immediately above that list of children, the parents will be listed. On the other hand, to find William Brown, No. 6641 as an adult, move to the adult column and start turning pages towards the back of the book. The numbers in both columns are sequential, and all children listed (with a number) will appear in both columns.

Some Problems
Although this system is widely used and accepted by genealogists in the U.S., there are some fatal flaws built in to the Register System. First, the spouse of a descendant receives no number at all only the blood-line descendants are assigned numbers in the Register System. Moreover, the assignment of register numbers is dangerous, particularly when further research may reveal the existence of more children of a person. Adding people to the list means that the entire list must be renumbered from that point, or children within a family grouping must be numbered out of sequence.
The Register System is the accepted standard for a number of periodicals in America besides the New England Historical and Genealogical Register. Many of these periodicals accept manuscripts from genealogists for publication, but one must conform to the Register System or the editors will not even read the manuscript. Therefore, if a goal is to prepare an article for a national magazine, an understanding of the Register System is important.

The Modified Register System
A variation of the Register System was adapted first by the New York Biographical and Genealogical Record and became known as the Record System. The same variation was also adopted by the National Genealogical Society Quarterly. The New York periodical has since returned to the older New England Register method, while the National Genealogical Society's periodical now refers to its descendancy numbering scheme as the Modified Register System.

Here is an outline of the same family descendancy using the Modified Register System:

1. Franklin Work
--- + 2. i. Frances Eleanor Work
--- 3. ii. George Paul Work
--- + 4. iii. Lucy Bond Work

2. Frances Eleanor Work (m. Burke Roche)
--- 5. i. Eileen Burke Roche
--- + 6. ii. Cynthia Burke Roche
--- + 7. iii. Edmund Maurice Burke Roche
--- 8. iv. Francis George Burke Roche

Unlike the Register System, in the Modified Register System, every person receives a Register number, an arabic number indicating the line of descent. Every person also receives a lower case roman numeral indicating their birth order within a family grouping. But unique to the Modified Register System is a symbol that indicates if a child is to be repeated as an adult. The + (plus sign) is normally used for this purpose. Even though every child may have a Register number, if no + (plus sign) appears, that will be the last time that particular name will be seen in the descendancy. To some genealogists, the Modified Register System is considered superior to the Register System because every descendant receives a number.
However, in both systems, only the blood-line descendants of number 1 receive a Register number. Spouses of descendants are not part of the descendancy and receive no number at all. A genealogist can review these numbering systems in greater detail by visiting a genealogical library with a family history section. Many published books have a numbering system similar or identical to the Register or Modified Register system described above. Variations of these numbering systems exist as well, but again, if the goal is to publish a genealogical article for a national magazine, these two numbering systems should be followed as closely as possible.

Common Features and Differences Between The Two Systems
A standard method for showing the generation for each adult in both the Register and Modified Register systems is to use superscripts after their first names, for example:

1. Franklin1 Work
--- + 2. i. Frances Eleanor2 Work
--- 3. ii. George Paul Work
--- + 4. iii. Lucy Bond Work

2. Frances Eleanor2 Work (Franklin1)
( m. Burke Roche)
--- 5. i. Eileen3 Burke Roche
--- 6. ii. Cynthia Burke Roche
--- + 7. iii. Edmund Maurice Burke Roche
--- 8. iv. Francis George Burke Roche

For each person identified in the adult column, the superscript indicates the generation of that person removed from number 1. Following the person's name, the first names and superscripts for each step in the line of descent back to number 1 can be given in parentheses. The generation superscript for the first child in a list of children need not be repeated for the remaining children.

An example of an adult in the fifth generation of a descendancy might be as shown below. Note that in the New England Historic Genealogical Society's Register, adult names are shown in all capitals, while in the Modified Register system, the adult names are in upper/lower case, as well as shown in bold lettering (the method preferred by the National Genealogical Society's Quarterly).

NEHGS Register System:

312. WILLIAM HENRY5 SMITH, JR. (William Henry, Sr.4, James3, Henry2, Willard1)

NGS Modified Register System:

355. William Henry5 Smith, Jr. (William Henry, Sr.4, James3, Henry2, Willard1)

Generally, the Register System uses a superscript1 to indicate the first American progenitor, and then employs superscript letters after names to indicate foreign ancestors preceding the American genealogy. For example, if James Smith, Jr. were the first American immigrant and progenitor, his name and British lineage in parentheses could be shown as follows:

1. JAMES1 SMITH, JR. (James, Sr.A, WilliamB)
Another difference in style between the two systems is in the narrative writing. The NEHGS Register System allows abbreviations in text—the NGS Modified Register encourages readable text with no abbreviations.

Writing style used in the NEHGS Register System:

1. FRANKLIN H.WORK, dry goods merchant, stockbroker, b. Chillicothe, Ohio, 10 Feb. 1819, d. New York, N.Y., 16 March 1911, son of John Wark and of Sarah Duncan Boude, m. New York, N.Y., 19 Feb. 1857, Ellen Wood, b. Chillicothe, Ohio, 18 July 1831, d. New York, N.Y., 22 Feb. 1877, dau. of John Wood and of Eleanor Strong.

Writing style used in NGS Modified Register System:

1. Franklin H. Work, son of John Wark and of Sarah Duncan Boude, born 10 February 1819 in Chillicothe, Ohio; died 16 March 1911 in New York City. He was married 19 February 1857 in New York City to Ellen Wood, daughter of John Wood and of Eleanor Strong, born 18 July 1831 in Chillicothe, Ohio; died 22 February 1877 in New York City. Franklin Work was a dry goods merchant and stockbroker. . .
- - - - - - - - - -
Sist redigert av Nina Beth den 06.03.2004 2:27, redigert 3 ganger totalt.

Brukeravatar
Arne Remvik
Forumadministrator
Sted: Ålesund

Re: Rapport-namn

Legg innav Arne Remvik » 14.11.2003 14:19

nbm skrev:Burde ikkje introdusere nytt emne, kan hende, når eg ligg etter med fleire av dei "gamle". Likevel: Kan me finne brukandes namn på spesielt REGISTER og MODIFIED REGISTER-rapportane? Desse namna er bortimot meiningslause på engelsk og verre på norsk.

(Klippet mye om definisjon av uttrykkene nevnt over)

Jeg er enig i at disse navnene ikke er gode, men jeg har i alle fall ikke noe bedre forslag nå.
Noen andre?

Tom Smidth
Sted: Roskilde, Danmark
Kontakt:

nyt navn

Legg innav Tom Smidth » 06.12.2003 11:29

Kunne de 2 rapporter blot navngives på denne måde:

"The Register" nummerering
Den ændrede "Register" nummerering

På den måde angives det tydeligt at navnet "Register/The Register" kommer fra en anden sammenhæng.
Venlig Hilsen

Tom Smidth
Roskilde Danmark

Nina Beth
Sted: Arna

Legg innav Nina Beth » 06.12.2003 22:48

Det kan vere brukandes, om ein meiner at ein "må" ha med det amerikanske namnet. Det bør ein, kan hende?

Men me har "register" bak i ei bok, der engelsk har index. Hadde vore greitt å unngå det same ordet her i tillegg.

Førstemannen i rapporten (nesten alltid ein mann) er ofte immigranten til Nord-Amerika, Australia, Ny-Zealand. Så får etterkomarane (men ikkje ektefellar) fortløpande tal.

Lurar på om ordet LØPENUMMER kan brukast her....? Finst ordet LØPENUMMERERING?

Gå tilbake til «Språklig diskusjon»